Sunday, December 1, 2013

IOS Native App Automation

Friends, It been long time since I have written my last blog. In this blog i'm putting my experiences using appium automation tool for IOS Native App Automation

Appium is one of the automation tool and seems to be promising in automation of IOS Native Apps. Initially, I started the evaluation with couple of open source tools appium and IOS Driver. Appium is the one, that is more active with stable & New releases.

Appium is the only tool that does not require any IOS instrumentation. It does it automatically

Some advantages listed out below
1.Supports Wedriver Interface API to write your tests in Java,Ruby....
2.Support all kinds of User Interactions like swipe (Single and multiple fingers),tap, longPress, Alerts,Picker wheel , switches and many more.
3.Runs tests on both Emulator and Real Devices.
4.Supports xPaths.
5.Comes with Object Inspector and Recoder. You need not run behind on how to inspect elements
6.Need not have reference to IOS app source code
7.Can run tests using .app or .Ipa files

Setting up Appium is little tricky as you don't get proper documentation.Initially you would end up in lots of appium server errors. However, it is very simple and just one step setup of Appium


7 comments:

  1. Hello ,
    I have been looking for an iOS automation tool that can get integrated with server side automation written in clojure. I have tried appium 0.13.0.15 and 1.0.0 .
    I referred to link http://sauceio.com/index.php/2013/04/mobile-test-automation-in-java-with-appium/ to run iOS automation(written in java). But I found I am not able to run it on real devices. Can I get general steps about how to use saucelabs.appium to write automation with an example?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You macy check this for automation on real devices

      http://iosautomation.blogspot.in/2014/01/running-tests-on-real-device-when-app_2.html

      Delete
  2. Hi Priya,

    Did you get a chance to look at my APPIUm blogs. All the installation instructions have been published

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kiran, I'm planning to automate IOS native mail app for sending and receiveing mail...Is it possible to automate? if it case, How can we point o native mail app and start automation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ideally it is recommended to test send and receive email using Javax mail API.I believe Email is a Native standard application and would be used common across the applications build.You can rather verify email content,send/receive email with mail APIs.Automating send and receive verification would be more effective at API level automation.Let me know if you need further information

      Delete
    2. Thanks for Reply Kiran, I have 2 queries
      1) How to open and work on Native Apple mail client in simulator using Appium, sending and receiving mail through API is done.but I need to do some UI validation in mail Client, how can we achieve that?
      2) Appium Inspector is not working for me..I'm able to launch the Inspector, but unable to select the element (which helps to get xpath) in Mac
      my appium version is : 1.4.13, Xcode : 6.2

      Delete
  4. Thanks for a great information in your blog.I have read all the post of your blog.Great work on Appium

    ReplyDelete